Established 1912 as a borough within the commonwealth
Pearl S. Buck’s residence just outside of Dublin Borough.
How did Dublin, Pennslvania, get its name?
You will have to read this to the end, and determine for yourself.
One of the smallest incorporated towns within Bucks County, Dublin has a documented yet obscure history dating to its founding, approximately in 1762, when its village served as a crossroads and gathering place between larger towns, such as Quakertown and Doylestown.
Dublin proper is now bordered by the townships of Hilltown and Bedminster. As these townships experience commercial and residential development, Dublin faces challenges in maintaining its historical character as a small borough.
If you look at a map of Bucks County, you will notice that Dublin’s geographical boundaries are quite small. There is a town center, overwhelmed with a five- point traffic light, yet filled with historical buildings that hint at Dublin’s role in the county’s agricultural heritage.
Three properties within the borough are designated by Heritage Conservancy as historical sites: Kooker’s General Store, St. Luke’s United Church of Christ, and the Jonas Moyer home. Each of these has historical significance.
Kooker’s Central Store was established in 1919 by Jacob M. Kooker. The general store served its community for decades, and even housed the Dublin Post Office, according to Rod Shultz, a native of Dublin and grandson of Jacob Kooker.
Shultz and his wife, Carol, now own the property and open it to visitors quarterly for tours of the space as it once appeared. (The next open house will take place on Sept. 17 and 18.)
St. Luke’s UCC has the distinction of having served the community as a gathering place for two very different denominations: Lutheran and Reformed Christians. This was highly unusual for its time, according to Mr. Shultz.
The Jonas Moyer property, once a thriving farm owned by a prominent Dublin family, is also a designated Heritage Conservancy site. The Moyer family’s involvement in the Dublin governance is well documented. The farm’s and family’s significance is cited in a publication distributed in 2012 for the Centennial of Dublin. The book contains photos and memorabilia from Dublin’s farming history culture.
Dublin is challenged by continued growth, especially along its infamous corridor of Route 313 (Swamp Road), which barrels right through the small town, barring any traffic lights. A lively business community with with shops, banks, restaurants, the state driver license center and the TEC offices line the road.
Maintaining its character is a perpetual challenge. There are plenty of ideas for controlling the borough’s growth while maintaining and preserving the town’s historic character.
Borough Manager Bill Wert describes it this way: “We are more than a traffic light between Quakertown and Doylestown.”
A grant to study growth implications was awarded to Dublin, resulting in several suggestions. Controlling growth within its boundaries while maintaining its historical character are the borough’s goals. Dublin is one of many small municipalities within Bucks County facing this balance.
So … What is the origin of Dublin’s name?
The town’s name has been the subject of folklore and speculation. There is no apparent correlation between sister city Dublin, Ireland, according to Rod Shultz, earlier cited as the “historian” of Dublin, Pa. To be incorporated as a borough within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, it took 80 years’ effort – from 1832 to 1912 – by its citizens for Dublin to be incorporated. within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Travelers through the main thoroughfares of Dublin should not be deceived by the date of incorporation, since Dublin’s history is steeped with longer history as a true Bucks County town.
Contrary to the local Irish who might claim the rights to its name, there is sufficient evidence that the moniker "Dublin" is derived from "double Inn."
There were two inns or hotels, the Dublin Hotel, and the Walsh Hotel at the crossroads of what is now Route 313, Elephant Road and Main Street. So "Double Inn" became Dublin.