Bucks County Herald

Public invited to rededication of Doylestown’s Civil War monument

To commemorate the 150th anniversary of Bucks County’s Civil War Monument, a rededication ceremony will take place at 12:30 p.m. Saturday, May 19, in the Bucks County Administration Building Courtyard, at 55 E. Court St., Doylestown.

First dedicated on May 30, 1868, the 30-foot high obelisk has stood in the heart of Doylestown since then, as a tribute to the 104th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment.

“The monument is one of the oldest community Civil War monuments in the country, and played an important role in our local history,” said Dee Ann Smith of Bucks County’s Civil War Library and Museum.

Following the initial dedication of the monument in 1868, the large crowd walked down to War Memorial Field (now Central Bucks West High School), which was then the training grounds for the 104th Regiment, and this constituted Doylestown’s first Memorial Day Parade. The parade holds the distinction of being the oldest continuous Memorial Day Parade in the nation.”

The rededication ceremony will kick off with music by the Quakertown Band, followed by words from Doylestown Mayor Ron Strouse, “General Ulysses S. Grant,” and a roll call of the 104th soldiers. After the ceremony, guests can enjoy refreshments at the Doylestown Historical Society, courtesy of Monument Bank.

The 150th Anniversary Celebration is sponsored by Monument Bank, Saving Hallowed Ground, Visitors Bureau of Bucks County, Borough of Doylestown, Doylestown Historical Society, and Bucks County Historical Society, with additional support from individuals and businesses through the purchase of advertisements in the program booklet.

Tweet



www.buckscountyherald.com

Copyright ©2018 Bucks County Herald, Inc. All rights reserved.